- Deadline to Apply by Semester
- Apply for Graduation
- What to Expect After Applying for Graduation
Major departments may have their own (earlier) deadline for graduation. Please consult with your major advisor.
|Spring||3rd Friday in February|
|Summer- Attending Commencement||2nd Friday in March|
|Summer- Not Attending Commencement||2nd Friday in July|
|Fall||Last Friday in September|
- Verify your GE & University requirements on your Degree Progress Report. For additional support, visit your College Resource Center.
- Log into the SFSU Student Center.
- Under “Academics,” select the “Apply for Graduation” link, and select the semester of graduation.
- Complete the Senior Exit Survey to access the Graduation Application.
Submit the Graduation Application for approval to your major and/or minor departments.
- Faculty advisor and Department chair signatures are required
- Another separate major/minor program form must be submitted for each major (and each concentration within a major) and minor.
Pay the $100 application fee to the Bursar’s office in person or online.
- Note: Applications submitted after a semester deadline are subject to a $5.00 late fee (see: Deadline to Apply by Semester) .
- Submit completed application forms to the Registrar’s representative at OneStop located in the Student Services Building.
A student can verify that his/her application was received by Graduation Evaluators via the Student Center To-Do List:
- Log into the Student Center
- Click "More" on the To-Do List
Under item list: "Undergrad Graduation Appl Form" check under status:
- RECEIVED: Graduation Evaluators have received the paper graduation application.
- REQUIRED: Student applied for graduation online, but Graduation Evaluators have NOT received the paper graduation application.
The evaluators will perform an initial evaluation of an applicant's progress toward degree completion using the appropriate Bulletin for the General Education, University Requirements, and major and minor program requirements.
- Applications are not reviewed based on when they are submitted.
- Both the Degree Progress Report and paper graduation application will be reviewed.
- If preliminarily denied, the applicant will receive an email stating the deficiencies. Please make sure to keep the evaluator up to date on the status of resolving the deficiencies.
- REMEMBER all statuses in the initial evaluation are preliminary- meaning NOT final.
Evaluators use the major/minor program form on the graduation application to review major/minor requirements. If a student needs to change or delete a course from his/her major/minor program use: Authorization to Amend Major/Minor Courses- Baccalaureate Degree Application. This form will need to be approved and signed by the faculty advisor and chair.
All grades of incomplete (I), report delayed (RD), and in-progress (IP) must be resolved by the "Grades Processed (End of Term)" date on the Registrar's Calendar or the "Transcript Deadline" if from an outside institution. Applications with standing incompletes, report delays, or in-progress classes are subject to denial.
Last Friday of June
Last Friday of September
Last Friday of January
Graduating seniors should prepare their graduation applications before leaving to a Study Abroad program. The translation of Study Abroad coursework is complex and processing time can vary by host institution. In some cases, it can take up to two semesters for coursework to be translated. Spring and Summer degree candidates are still eligible to attend the May commencement ceremony despite the anticipated delay in transcript processing.
A final review of the academic record will be completed after grades are available for the semester the graduation application was turned in for.
If all the degree requirements are completed, the degree will be awarded.
- When the degree is awarded, the student will receive an email.
- Transcripts will reflect the degree the same day it was awarded.
- Diploma orders are filled on the second Friday of each month (excluding holidays). Please allow up to 6-8 weeks for delivery. Visit Diplomas page for more information.
If the degree requirements are not fulfilled at the time of review, then a denial notice is sent out via email listing the outstanding requirements.
- For any questions contact the assigned evaluator, their information is posted on the denial notice.
- If an application is officially denied at the end of the semester, a new application must be submitted along with the $100 fee for the new semester the degree requirements are met.