Preferred/Chosen Name

Registrar Update

Software upgrade will shut down Campus Solutions Friday, May 24 @ 4 PM through Tuesday, May 28 @ 8 AM. Refer to the ITS alerts page at for information on impacted systems.

The Student Center, Faculty Center, Class Services, and select services on Gateway will be unavailable over the Memorial Day weekend.   This software update is necessary to improve existing processes and provide better computing solutions for the campus. 
The Registrar’s Office apologizes for the inconvenience and delay this will cause and we will be available during normal business hours to field questions and offer solutions, but student records, grade rosters, and other services will be down.Thank you for your patience; and for any updates on the Campus Solutions closure visit Information Technology Services ALERT website here.

Have a Great weekend and Go Gators!   

SF State’s Academic Senate passed a resolution in September 2016 supporting the use of preferred/chosen name. Preferred/chosen name is an option in Campus Solutions (CS) that is available to students via the Student Center. Most CSUs and many other campuses are using preferred name at the request of students who have reason to use a preferred/chosen name rather than a primary (legal) name in the classroom and other areas of the university. Some examples of students who have opted to use a preferred/chosen name include international students, transgender students, student who prefer to use their middle names, and students who have nicknames, like Joey or Junior.
Preferred/chosen name will show on the Student Center, the Advisor Center, the Faculty Center including Class and Grade rosters, iLearn, Student Health Services, and Housing offices. Preferred/chosen name can also be used on the OneCard Gator Pass.
Please see instructions on how to update your preferred/chosen name on your Student Center.
Changing or adding a preferred/chosen name does not change a student’s primary/legal name. To change primary/legal name, students must complete the Name Change Request form and submit, with verification (Driver's License, California ID, passport, court documents), to the Registrar's Office (One Stop, Student Services Building). Student employees must contact Human Resources directly to have their HR record updated (ADM 252).